13 Mar 2011

The earthquake in Japan

The day after I took the images in my previous 'Light Through The Day' posting I departed from New Tokyo airport back to London little realising that a couple of hours after our departure the country would be hit by a vastly damaging earthquake and subsequent tsunami.  Information was difficult to obtain and our Operations department had only sketchy details but by the time we landed at least we knew that our work colleagues who bought our aircraft in and were resting in the hotel were all safe and well.

The same of course can not be said for vast swathes of the country to the North East of Tokyo which were devastated by the huge volumes of water that gushed inland.  Tokyo has been a frequent destination of mine for many years and I have made friends and enjoyed the perfect hospitality of the Japanese people.  My heart breaks for them as they endure this awful disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment